Thursday, May 10, 2007

ATM Cards

I have always been amused when I heard about people who left their cards in the ATM. I feel sorry for them, but I also think it is silly to leave such an important thing in a public place. They should have paid more attention to what they are doing. Me, I’m always very careful about my ATM card.

One afternoon I went to an ATM on George Street, near Woolworths Supermarket. I had been waiting for my payment for weeks. I was getting a bit anxious. I wanted to know if the money was finally in or not. I inserted my card and chose account balance. Dang! It’s not there yet. I wondered why they hadn’t sent the money. I took the receipt and walked away. About 30 meters down the road I got the feeling that I had forgotten something. I checked my wallet. My card wasn’t there. I left it in the machine!!! My heart dropped to my feet. There goes what little money I had left, I thought. There was still hope. Maybe the card was still there. I turned around. I wanted to run back to the ATM.

“Is this yours?” A stocky, bald man in shorts and sunnies stopped me on my tracks. My card! I gasped with relief. I thanked the kind stranger. He nodded. I couldn’t see his eyes but the look on his face clearly said, “You should've paid more attention to what you are doing. It’s very silly to leave such an important thing in a public place.”

I checked the balance again on my way home, and my savings was intact. Somebody had bothered to chase me down the street to give me back my card. I was really touched. It’s good to know that there still are some good people out there.

No comments: