Sunday, June 10, 2007

ME Day - Part One

It was Thursday. On the same day next week, I’d be at the hospital, having my surgery. I felt depressed. Usually when I’m upset or depressed I just need a good cry and then I would feel all better. So far I had been depressed for days and weeks but the tears just wouldn't come. I had a lot of negative feelings inside – fear, anxiety, sadness, helplessness. I was desperate to get rid of them.
That day was my last day to be alone and to get away from school, work, everything. I decided to skip school and go to one of my favorite places in the world – Sydney Aquarium. Something about the sea creatures swimming gracefully in the gigantic tanks is so relaxing. It usually cheers me up.

I had an easy morning. No rush to do anything at all. To day is ME Day and I’m going to take my own sweet time. After lunch I took a train to Town Hall and walked to Darling Harbour. It was a nice sunny day in late autumn. I bought a ticket and walked inside the darkened halls. I revisited all my favorite sea creatures and some new ones. The seals were wonderful. I touched a baby Port Jackson shark. The skin felt rough, like sandpaper.
The underwater tunnel was crowded and noisy. I waited until the noisy group moved on then I walked slowly through the tunnel, and on to a glass room. It’s a fairytale world. The walls, ceiling and even floor were made from glass. It was dark and cool and nobody else was there. I sat down on the glass floor, put my face as close to the glass wall as possible, and watched the rays and sharks swimming like space ships around me. The UFO music in the background helped create the out-of-worldly atmosphere. I was miles away from the real world.


The wail of my cell-phone (Come On, Eileen) beamed me back to Earth.

Hello?
Hello. My name is …(not clear)…… MEGT. …….(not clear)…
(Somebody from my school? One of the managers? Wanting to talk to me about
my three week leave? Let me make sure …)

Mmmm. Sorry, who would you like to talk to again?
I’m looking for …(my name)…
Oh, this is her.
Good. Is this a bad time?
(Very bad. It’s my ME Day. Could you hear the UFO music in the background?)
No, that’s alright.
Right, Irish told me that bla..bla..bla…
Yes, I’m going to have a surgery next week, on May 31. The doctor said five to eight days at the hospital and then some rest at home. I’ll have the surgery here at … (Damn! I can’t remember the name of the hospital. Prince? Wales?) … at the New South Wales Private Hospital (or something like that). That (name) doesn’t sound right, does it?
That (situation) ‘s OK. Just make sure to bring a certificate from your doctor .. bla..bla..bla..
Thank you. Bye..

The glass room lost its magic. I moved on. Past the reefs there was a big glass wall that looked like a movie screen. I sat down on the steps in front of the glass screen. People posed in front of it and have their pictures taken. When they left it was quiet again and I could feel a tiny itsy-bitsy tears creeping down from the corner of my eye.

Excuse me, could you help me take a photo? A nice young woman asked pleasantly. She looked like a student. Maybe from another state.
Sure. (sniff…sniff..)
Just press here.
Here? (sniff..)
Yes. Thanks.
BLITZ.
Here you go. It that (photo) alright?
Yes. Thank you very much.
Your welcome (sniff).

I blew my nose. It’s time to get out of there.

No comments: