Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pronunciation Lesson 2

Last night we talked about electronics in the classroom. My students told me about the famous brands in Korea. When it comes to LG, they told me that it means 'gold star' or something that sounds very much like a rude word. I knew that they couldn't possibly mean that word and it was probably something else mispronounced. I rummaged through my brain frantically, trying to guess what the word was.
"Gold business?" was my first guess.
"No, no. Gold star. Penis."
"Yes. Penis." another student confirmed.
I think I blushed a bit. I began to panic. Then suddenly Ping! 'Venus' They were saying @#*% 'Venus'! I secretly heaved a big sigh of relief. I thought to myself, OK, guys. We've got a lot of work to do. More pronunciation lessons coming up next week.

No comments: