Friday, March 20, 2009

They're Here!

After living alone in this big empty house for over a month, the silence was finally broken. My mom arrived with my nephew would return to school very soon. My nieces came to visit almost every day, so suddenly the house came alive. No more wedging the door with a chair.

The second day my mom arrived, my nephew went to school, and I went to work. When I got home, Mom was lying on the sofa. She said she got locked out around lunch time. Before I left home in the morning, I warned her about the door. I showed her how to turn the lock so she wouldn’t get locked out. So of course she did. She opened the door to get the food boxes just outside the door. The wind blew and the door slammed shut. So she sat outside in her pajamas, in the hot afternoon sun, for about three hours. She got hungry but luckily she had the foodboxes with her. She was thirsty but was too proud to ask for water from the convenience store just next door. She was also desperate to pee…

On the third day my nephew called and asked if anybody was at home. I asked him why. He said he fell on the train during the trip home from school. It got quite bad so we took him to the doctor, and the next day to the hospital for an x-ray. His foot had been fractured and he needed a special boot.

Hmm... and to think that just a few weeks before I thought the silence would drive me crazy.

No comments: