Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Reward

I was an average student throughout school, but at university I suddenly get a lot of As and Bs. I actually hated economics and I couldn’t put two and two together without a calculator. But since we were allowed to use calculator, I did just fine.

There were some hot shots in my batch at uni. You could tell who were hot shots by the way they strutted around campus. They usually had rich or influential dad, or both. I instinctively disliked these kids. I was naturally jealous because they had money and and were popular. I didn’t and I wasn’t. One of these kids was Rina. Her father was a successful businessman in Palembang. Rina asked me to help her with one of the subjects. I didn’t particularly like her, but she was nice to me so I helped her with some tutoring sessions. She treated me to a movie as payment.

When the result came out, Rina got a B. Not bad. As for me, I made a small but fatal mistake in the exam. I got a D and had to repeat the subject.

No comments: