Saturday, November 22, 2008

Council Clean-Up Day

I went downstairs this morning to throw the garbage out and found what I’ve been searching for since March... a bit old, but with straight back and perfect legs, standing on the footpath waiting just for me. I dropped the garbage and half dragged half carried it upstairs to my apartment before anyone else beat me to it. I went straight to the bathroom and I scrubbed away the dust and cobweb and a fresh bird poo on the seat. (Thank you, bird) Then I rolled it to the balcony and leave it to dry.

In case you haven’t guessed it, I was talking about an office chair with adjustable seat and back. For months I’ve had to be creative with the IKEA dining chair so I could work comfortably in front of the computer for hours. Suddenly somebody left an office chair front of the apartment building!

Later on I went out to go to the supermarket. On the way, I found stacks of empty milk crates. I was struck with an idea. I followed my ant instinct and carried two red crates back home. I scrubbed and dried them. Then I stacked them sideways and secured some parts where the two crates met, et voila! A very modern looking bookshelf!

Don’t you just love council clean-up day. That’s the day when people put things they no longer want or need by the side of the road. Most of the time the items are too broken to be used, but God has been kind today and has given me two things that I really need.

No comments: