Monday, October 29, 2007

Collector



Went to Canberra a few weeks ago. About halfway to Canberra we almost ran out of gas. We drove for miles without air conditioner. The tank was very close to empty when we saw a sign for a gas station. We made a U-turn and turned into a small town called Collector. Population 150, according to the signboard.
The gas station was next to a small diner plus information centre plus public toilet.

I checked out the surrounding while my friend filled the car's tank. A few meters from the diner there was a quiet, green meadow. A cockatoo flew by the green trees but I didn't have time to take photo of it. There was also a small stone monument with Lest We Forget written on it and the names of soldiers who died in war. Very well placed, I think. It's been a long time since I visited a place that invoked such feelings of peace and tranquility.

No comments: