Saturday, October 20, 2007

My First Students

My first student was a mistake. I went all the way to Pasar Baru, found the posh house, and met my student. She was a uni student. I thought I was going to teach her English. She thought I was going to teach her Accounting. COST @#$*@ ACCOUNTING!!. I told her that that was not my area of expertise and that she was probably better than I was in Accounting. I went home and called the agency and asked them to assign somebody else.
My first real student was young Taiwanese girl. She went to an international Kindy. She was as chatty as chatty could be. She spoke Mandarin, Indonesian, and a little Javanese (from the maid). When mommy was not around she ordered the maid around like a princess. Most of the time she taught me songs from her Sesame Street Book. We played with her Barbie dolls a lot. Mommy said that her pronunciation improved a lot after I tutored her, so I was quite happy about that.
My second student was an elementary school Korean boy. I was supposed to help him with his homework. He wasn't interested in doing homework. He usually drew comic strips throughout the lessons and then told me the story, in broken Indonesian. I'm sure he improved a lot in speaking ... Indonesian.
My third student was a bit older than the others. Since didn't ask me to play with his toys or read his comics, it was much easier to teach him.
All three of them lived quite near from my house (+/- 30 minutes) by bike. Yep, I rode my bicycle to their homes. (I didn't learn to ride a bicycle until I was a uni student. But that was another story.) The job kept my quite fit.

No comments: