Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Regret

One of my biggest regrets at work: When I was a supervisor, I was asked by H& R - through my boss - to video tape some of our classes. The purpose was for trainee teachers to be able to look at and discuss the different ways of teaching. It sounded like a good idea, right? So who would be the lucky teachers? We decided to draw a lot. Then an idea came to take the videotaping more 'beneficial'. Why not tape some 'good' teaching and some 'bad' teaching?
I nominated my teachers, including the 'bad' one. I went as far as asking his permission to tape his class, without mentioning the good and bad issue.
Looking back now, what a mean, insensitive, wise-ass I was. Who was I to judge anybody? What if the coin was turned and I was the 'bad' teacher? And somebody asked to video tape my class so that trainee teachers could learn what not to do?
What IS a bad teacher? Some teachers prepare for hours, others like to think on their feet. Some teachers are quiet and reserved, others are funny and boisterous. My teacher prepared his lessons. He didn't treat students like shit. He didn't abuse or harass anybody. And I was out to humiliate him. In fact, I was so insensitive I didn't think about the effect on him. Horrible.
Good thing the teacher was smart enough to smell the rat. He didn't give me permission to carry out my stupid mission.

No comments: