Friday, June 30, 2006

17th August Fiasco

I hated my first grade in St. Joseph. I felt lonely most of the time and I hated the new teacher. She was a local nun and she was not very patient. One day we were rehearsing a game for the Independence Day Celebration. We first graders lined up with lighted candle in our little hands. I was worried about the melted candle touching my finger. I guess I was not listening very carefully to the teacher's instructions.She gave us a signal and we raced to the finish line. My candle blew out before I reached the line so I turned back to the start line. The teacher was cross about that. She angrily told me to go straight to the finish line. My five-year-old self felt stupid and didn't understand why I was scolded. I thought to myself, I did not like this game. So I did not tell my parents that we were supposed to come the next day. Come Monday I got scolded again for not turning up.

No comments: