Friday, June 30, 2006

Kindergarten

I was still sitting on the train and I tried to remember as far back as possible. There wasn't much left of my childhood, but I'll try.
The Teachers
I remembered my first days of Kindy. The building was enormous to my four-year-old eyes. My father took me to school. He carried me in his arms and the teacher joked with us, saying that I was too big now to be carried. The teacher's name was Sister Nathalie. I think she's Dutch. She was already middle aged at that time. She wore a nun's white dress and head cover, a cross, and steel-rimmed eye glasses. She always smelled of lemon. I loved her smell. For many years after that I searched for soaps, colognes and perfumes which smell like her. There was a younger, prettier teacher who helped her. She had short hair and was always nicely dressed in bright colours.

No comments: