Saturday, July 08, 2006

Dentists

By fourteen I was not cute at all. Very tall, very thin, very bucked teeth. I could only guess that my parents knew I was teased at school. I never told them and they never said anything. My mom took me to one dentist after another. The first one treated me for about a year with no apparent result. After an incident with the water-jet teeth cleaner, I got fed up and so I refused to go there anymore. The second dentist laughed nervously and said to my face that I was unfixable. OK, so he was young and inexperienced. The third one was in the city’s foremost university. He took x-ray photos of my face and the doctor said the way to fix me was by cutting my face open and shaving off some of the upper front jaw. So my mother said that we would think about it and we went home feeling horrible.

No comments: