Saturday, July 01, 2006

Miss Miranda

It’s a good thing that we did not stay in Melody Gardens for a long time. We found our own home. It was a big old house. My father said that it was haunted. One time he heard people talking while he was in the shower, but no one was around. Instead of running scared, my father scolded those bodyless voices. That must have given them quite a shock. My mother also had a bad experience. A huge centipede, as big as a pen, crawled up the bed, and onto her legs. Again my father came to the rescue. I myself thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I didn’t go to school because of some document problems, so I stayed at home most of the time. My brothers were sent home to finish high school. Only my sister went to school in JB. My parents solved the problem of my education by sending me to an Indian lady next door. I called her Miss Miranda. She had two sons, but I never saw her husband. She usually opened her window in the morning and hollered my name. I would come and she would teach me some English words and some math. Miss Miranda probably gave me my first English lessons. Most of the time I think I just chatted with her.

No comments: