Saturday, July 08, 2006

Super Dentist

I was teased a lot about my looks and had grown very anxious whenever I left the house. I stopped looking at people’s faces. I looked down on the asphalt, up at trees, sky, cloud, sideways to the houses, things in the shops, rooftops, cars, feet, grass, fallen leaves. At one point my brain began to persuade me to believe that I was inside a bubble, like a glass shell, and nobody could hurt me while I was in there. Crazy? Sure. But that was just my self-defense mechanism going over-creative.
We went to another orthodontist, yet again. This one was a university professor. She was rough, and nasty. She always gossiped with the assistant while treating my teeth. When I asked for a discount she verbally abused me for several minutes (Trust me, you can say a hell of a lot of things in 5 minutes). It was very effective. I never dared to ask for a discount from her ever again.

The professor yanked out three mammoth teeth and installed braces that caused me headaches and a million blisters. For the first time in my life I was able to close my mouth properly. I began to look more or less normal. I was sixteen.

No comments: